Introduction to Python and Machine Learning for the Biosciences, 4th edition
17-21 October 2022 | ONLINE COURSE
Data analysis and machine learning are becoming core skills for every scientist. This course introduces a widely-used programming language in science - Python - and introduces the basic concepts of machine learning and data science for the context of biosciences. This course is for researchers and students (e.g. MSc and PhD) without prior knowledge in Python or machine learning.
Target audience: Researchers and students (MSc and PhD) working in the biosciences/ health sciences.
Requirements: This is an online course - a personal laptop with a webcam & microphone is needed, as well as a good internet connection. Prior knowledge in programming is not required.
Course duration: 20h
Time schedule: mornings, 09:00 to 13:00 (Lisbon/London time)
Teaching Language: suitable for English-speaking participants; if all participants speak Portuguese, the course will be in Portuguese.
Course Coordination: Paulo de Castro Aguiar, i3S; Ana Filipa Gerós, i3S
The program will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to the Python programming language.
- Syntax, numbers and variables, functions and loops, conditional logic and control flow.
- Data input and exploratory data analysis in Python.
- Numpy and matplotlib libraries.
- Using the scikit-learn library for machine learning workflows.
- Basic concepts and use of simple supervised machine learning models for classification tasks.
- Basic concepts and use of simple unsupervised machine learning models for clustering tasks.
- Evaluation of machine learning models and proper results interpretation.
The registration fee includes online sessions, course material and a certificate.
Limited number of participants: 20
Early bird registration | Until 1 July 2022 | Payment deadline: 20 July 2022
i3S members – 180€
External members – 200€
Late registration | Until 12 September 2022 | Payment deadline: 15 September 2022
i3S members – 220€
External members – 250€
Please note that your pre-registration does not confirm that you have been selected for the course.
Payment will be requested only after confirmation of acceptance. Details for payment will be sent in the confirmation registration e-mail.
Course selection criteria: first come first served.
In case of cancellation, the registration fee will not be refunded.
Advanced Training Unit | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: +351 226 074 900