Introduction to Python and Machine Learning for the Biosciences | 5th edition
13-16 March 2023 | ONLINE COURSE
Data analysis and machine learning are becoming a core skill for every scientist. This course provides an introduction to a widely-used programming language in science - Python - and introduces the basic concepts of machine learning and data science for the context of biosciences. This course is for researchers and students (e.g. MSc and PhD) without prior knowledge in Python nor machine learning.
Researchers and students (MSc and PhD) working in the biosciences/ health sciences.
This is an online course - personal laptop with webcam & microphone needed, as well as a good internet connection. Prior knowledge in programming is not required.
mornings, 09:00 to 13:00 (Lisbon/London time)
suitable for English-speaking participants; if all participants speak Portuguese, the course will be in Portuguese.
Paulo de Castro Aguiar, i3S
The program will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to the Python programming language.
- Syntax, numbers and variables, functions and loops, conditional logic and control flow.
- Data input and exploratory data analysis in Python.
- Numpy and matplotlib libraries.
- Using the scikit-learn library for machine learning workflows.
- Basic concepts and use of simple supervised machine learning models for classification tasks.
- Basic concepts and use of simple unsupervised machine learning models for clustering tasks.
- Evaluation of machine learning models and proper results interpretation.
The registration fee includes online sessions, course material and certificate.
Limited number of participants: 20
Early bird registration | Until 15 December 2022
Payment deadline: 15 December 2022
i3S members – 180€
P.CCC Raquel Seruca member – 180€
External members – 200€
Late registration | Until 13 February 2023
Payment deadline: 13 February 2023
i3S members – 220€
P.CCC Raquel Seruca member – 220€
External members – 250€
Pre-registration form >>
Please note that your pre-registration does not confirm that you have been selected for the course.
Payment will be requested only after confirmation of acceptance. Details for payment will be sent in the confirmation registration e-mail.
Course selection criteria: first come first served.
In case of cancelation, the registration fee will not be refunded.
The organizer reserves the right to cancel the course in case of an insufficient number of participants, organizational reasons, for other unforeseeable events that render the execution of the course impossible. The organizer shall immediately inform the pre-registered participants of such changes.
Advanced Training Unit | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: +351 220 408 800