Experimental Design and Analysis of Data from Animal Experiments | 6th Edition
5-7 December 2023 | i3S, Porto
This three-day course aims at making researchers sufficiently knowledgeable on experimental design and statistics to make results from animal experiments more reliable, robust and reproducible, while avoiding animal waste and complying with the 3Rs of animal research, with particular emphasis on ''Reduction'.
Course organizer: Nuno Franco, i3S
Target audience: This course is particularly aimed at researchers responsible for designing and/or carrying out animal experiments. It is also highly recommended for members of Animal Welfare Bodies or Competent Authorities responsible for evaluating animal research projects.
Course duration: 18h
Course language: English
Requirements: A laptop will be necessary to participate in the course with InViVoStat and G*-Power (both free software) installed.
The course will be held at i3S – Instituto de Investigação e Inovação em Saúde.
Rua Alfredo Allen, 208; 4200-135 Porto, Portugal
Tel: +351 220 408 800 | Site: http://www.i3s.up.pt/ | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
GPS coordinates: 41º 10’ 30.008’’ N, 8º 36’ 12.488’’ W.
- Planning for reproducibility in animal research
- Common mistakes in design and execution of experiments
- Formulating objectives and testing hypotheses
- Avoidance of bias (randomization, blind assessment, adequate controls)
- Formal experimental designs
- Independent replication and appropriate experimental units
- Estimating an adequate sample size
- Basic concepts in probability and statistics
- Single and two factor analysis of variance
- Analysis of covariance
- Data transformations and non-parametric methods
- Multivariate analysis of variance
Derek John Fry, University of Manchester
Pedro Oliveira, ICBAS, University of Porto
Nuno Henrique Franco, i3S, University of Porto
- Course participants should have, as a minimum, a degree in the natural or exact sciences.
- Preference will be given to researchers who use - or are about to use - animals for scientific purposes, are involved in the design and analysis of animal experiments, or evaluate research projects involving animal research.
Registration fees include coffee breaks.
|Early bird registration until 20 September 2023 | Payment deadline until 27 September 2023||Regular registration from 21 September to 6 October 2023 | Payment deadline until 13 October 2023|
|i3S / P.CCC Raquel Seruca members||225 €||275 €|
|i3S / P.CCC Raquel Seruca members with previous participation in i3S Laboratory Animal Science Course*||185 €||235 €|
|External participants||250 €||300 €|
|External participants with previous participation in i3S Laboratory Animal Science Course*||210 €||260 €|
*FELASA accredited Course for functions A, B, and D (mouse, rat, zebrafish, and fish species-specific) aligned with the European Directive 2010/63
A certificate of attendance will be assigned to all participants participating in all lectures and exercises. A final exam will be carried out, and for those passing the exam, a certificate stating the passing of an exam will be issued.
Please note that your pre-registration does not confirm that you have been selected for the course.
Payment will be requested only after confirmation of acceptance. Details for payment will be sent in the confirmation registration e-mail.
Cancelation policy: In case of cancelation, the registration fee will not be refunded.
The organizer reserves the right to cancel the course in case of an insufficient number of participants, organizational reasons, or other unforeseeable events that render the execution of the course impossible. The organizer shall immediately inform the pre-registered participants of such changes.
Advanced Training Unit | E-mail: email@example.com | Tel: +351 226 074 900